Here's a very simple Paella recipe. Paella is a Spanish and South American dish of rice, seafood, tomatoes, and sausage.
* 1 small onion, finely chopped
* 1 green pepper, finely chopped
* 2 medium-sized tomatoes, skinned and finely chopped
* 1 stalk of celery, coarsely chopped
* 1/2 cup to 1 cup of cooked shrimp or prawns
* a can of smoked oysters (with the oil)
* 1/2 cup to 1 cup of chopped cooked sausage - any type will do, breakfast sausage, Polish, Bratwurst, Italian, country etc.
* 1 1/2 cups of rice
* 2 cloves of garlic, coarsely chopped
* 1 tablespoon of ground cumin
* salt to taste
* two 15 oz. cans of tomato sauce
* optional: frozen peas, left over sliced chicken, chopped cooked carrots, cayenne pepper, hot sauce
Cook the rice:
Put the rice in a pot. Add 1 1/2 cups of water. Bring the pot to a boil using medium high heat. Cover the rice with a tight fitting lid and reduce the temperature to low for 15-20 minutes. DO NOT REMOVE THE LID, you'll let out the steam. Turn off the heat after 15-20 minutes BUT DO NOT REMOVE THE LID. Let the pot sit there for another 10 minutes. Carry over heat will continue steaming the rice. If you remove the lid, you'll let the steam out ... so don't touch the rice unless you smell something burning.
While the rice is cooking, slow cook the chopped onion and garlic in olive oil until they're just turning golden brown. Remove the onions and their liquid.
Cook the green peppers and celery in a pot with some olive oil over high heat for about 30 seconds. They won't take long to cook but keep stirring them or they'll burn. Add the can of tomato sauce. Add the chopped tomatoes. Add the can of oysters, the shrimp, and the sausage. Add the ground cumin along with any optional ingredients. Season to taste with salt. Add more ground cumin if you'd like.
After the sauce begins to bubble, lower the heat and let the sauce simmer for 10 minutes. Mix the rice into the sauce. Adjust the seasoning for salt as necessary.